Have you ever heard someone say “I would DIE if I lost my cell phone”? Maybe you’ve thought it yourself – I know I have! A while back I started thinking about how attached people are to their things and then thought of it in terms of my own life. What are the top 5 things that I would just die if they were taken away from me, but really I wouldn’t because they aren’t nearly as important to my health and wellness as I’d like to think. Unnecessary necessities, if you will. These are the “things” that you seriously could not live life without, but in actuality they aren’t that important. These 5 items must be non-living, and non-nurturing, hence you really could live without them and your life would probably not be that different. Here’s mine, in no particular order:
1. My Phone – ok, I know that was predictable, but seriously…I would DIE if I lost my cell phone! Especially since the age of the ‘smart phone’, My whole life (my calendar, address book, GPS, internet, music, bills…everything) is on my phone. There was a small scare last night, but it turns out that I just left my phone in my friend’s car. Thankfully I will be getting it back tonight at 4….THANK GOD! haha (the funny part about this one is that when I do get my phone back and check my call log, text messages, and voicemails there will most likely be no new messages.)
2. My Backpack – Have you ever seen Mary Poppins and her black bag that she can pull just about anything out of? Well this backpack is like that. A good friend of mine gave me this sweet EMS backpack about 5 years ago for Christmas and the rest is history. No, but really I use it every single day, whether I’m throwing my gym stuff in there for after work, my jammies for a sleepover party, or my roster/water bottle for a track meet. It doesn’t stop there either. I’ve brought it on multiple flights so that I could have only a carry on and not have to wait around at baggage claim. So, as you can see, I definitely could not live without this one.
3. My Yoga Pants – I’m sure any girl can agree that a perfectly fitting pair of yoga pants are amazing. No, better than amazing. They are the most perfectly designed article of clothing out there. Goin to the gym? Throw on your yoga pants. Hangin out watching TV? Throw on your yoga pants. Goin to bed? Goin to class? Goin on a hike? Cleaning your room? Getting on a flight? Throw on your yoga pants. Surprisingly, one of the only activities I do where I don’t opt for them is when I actually go to Yoga. Buttttt its mostly just because its so damn hot in that room.
4. My Facebook Account – Ahh…I wish it wasn’t this way, but this is the world I live in. The world where I have up to date information on people I have not talked to in over 5 years, or worse, people that I only met one time at a party in college and honestly could not even put a name to if I saw them. But, I know what their last vacation was, and that their sister just got married. It is sad, I will admit that, but it’s almost so bad that its great. It’s a continuous stream of entertainment – and for me, many times material to use on erinHasThoughts!!
5. My iPad – I got one for Christmas, and my life was changed forever. I told my sister that it was the best thing that ever happened to my life. She gave me “the look” and if you know her, you know what look I’m talking about. But anyways, I use it all day everyday. Whether I’m looking up a gym schedule, checking the weather, or spending endless hours pinterest, I’m obsessed. I barely even use my laptop anymore. It seems to ancient and impractical. With the ipad I can do anything from read my National Geographic to send an email, whenever and wherever I am. This has come in handy dozens of times in the past few months as I sat in waiting rooms, took bus rides, or just entertained myself and gave my boyfriend a break from my constant chatter!
What are your unnecessary necessities?