The Real World
So pretty much my whole life I feel like adults have always told me to enjoy being a kid while I can because someday I’ll be in the “real world”. No, not the TV show; even my life isn’t f’d up enough to get me on that show. Plus, my mom always advised me NOT to go on reality TV of any kind because I’d definitely be the one America loves to hate – thanks mom. Personally, I think my show would be entertaining. Anyways, the way they talked about the “real world” I kind of thought that growing up and living my own life would be pretty awful. Wow, I was wrong, and thank god!
Being an adult is probably the best thing that has ever happened to me, and here’s my top ten reasons (in no particular order) why:
- I can be my own boss. Well I mean when I get home I am. Maybe, just maybe it will be that way at work too one day.
- I can get any pet I want. I feel like getting a hamster…done. If I realize I just can’t live without a gecko…I can get one. I decide I want a dog…I can go down the animal shelter right this second. Andddd, the best part about it is that I can get all the cool toys, clothes and other pet supplies I want without having to ask anyon’e permission.
- I can drink. I mean, you don’t have to be an adult to drink, but at least once you are you don’t have to worry about getting caught anymore.
- I can do whatever I want on my free time. Once I get home from work, I’m free to do whatever I want. No homework, no studying, no reading….this is the life. Ahhh TV, friends, and doing NOTHING, how I missed you!
- I can have my own house. OK, I don’t have a house quite yet, but Ido have an apartment and it’s amazing. It’s as clean as I leave it when I leave in the morning. Or more realistically, the mess is all mine and I don’t have to worry about getting yelled at for it.
- I can have money. When you’re a kid you either are completely spoiled and have money, or you’re constantly asking your parents for money. Either way, it sucks. Now, I’ve got it…maybe not a lot of it, but I do have it, and I can spend it however I want. Plus, if I want more, its easy…alll I have to do is work more. Isn’t it fantastic how that works?!
- I can travel. And I don’t mean my family vacation to the beach. I mean go wherever I want, when I want, and with whoever I want. Maine for the weekend? Let me ask my parents…o wait, I don’t have to! Lets do this!!
- I can choose my own friends. I mean not that I couldn’t be friends with whoever I wanted my whole life, but now I don’t have to listen to my mom’s opinions about them. Now THAT is awesome.
- I can have a real job. One that doesn’t include the phrase “Can I take your order” or require me to work nights weekends and holidays…ahhh paid holidays – that right there is worth being an adult for.
- I can do whatever I want. This is not to be confused with any of the other reasons. This is specific. I can rent a car, have a beer at a bar, buy a pack of cigarettes (not that I’d want to anymore though), go see an R rated movie, watch children, have my own children, have a credit card, get approved for a loan, drive a car…and the list goes on and on.
So as you can see, there’s PLENTY of great reasons to be an adult. Not, that you should encourage anyone to rush being a kid, but besides it being socially acceptable to throw a tantrum in the middle of Stop & Shop, you literally can still do all the things kids do while still enjoying the freedoms of adulthood. You want to color? buy a coloring book. I color all the time. OK, not all the time, but sometimes when I’m having a bad day because not to brag or anything, but I’m really good at it…haven’t gone outside the lines since about 1989. You want to go to school – dooo etttt! You can never have too much knowledge. You want to be thin and have a lot of energy? Work out and eat right!! That’s easy! Just because you’re an adult doesn’t mean you have to be lazy and/or boring!! Take life by the horns and get everything out of it that you want. When you look at kids, don’t get jealous, join right in! They’ll think you’re cool for doing so, and you’ll be happier for following your instincts. But hey, this is just my way of life and thinking – its not for everyone, but I do highly recommend it – its pretty awesome!
Happy Friday, and hopefully you do something magical this weekend!