I Wouldn’t Know It Was Bikram If It Wasn’t 107 Degrees!
I tried out a new yoga joint this morning and was MORE than pleasantly surprised! I went to Bikram Yoga Downtown Hartford and it was an amazing experience. Normally I go to a place in Glastonbury, and though I always liked it (with the exception of a few classes that were taught by some uptight yogi who literally yelled at the students, myself included), I thought “hey, why not try something new?”. So I did. Bikram Yoga Downtown Hartford is located right off the highway on Main Street across the street from City Steam Brewery. There isn’t any free parking available like there is in Glastonbury, but luckily I’m an early bird and was able to park on the street (which you can do until 8AM). There are also two parking garages that are in walking distance and cost only $3 and $4 with validation from Bikram Yoga Downtown.
Of course the practice of Bikram Yoga is going to be the same everywhere you go: 26 postures and 2 breathing exercises. But this studio had a amenities that are not available at my last studio.
- Spacious, Clean and Most Importantly COOL Locker Room: Instead of having 30 yogis all trying to put their clothing into cubbies the size of a sandal box, there is a full on locker room fully equipped with large cubes, benches, nice showers, and a full counter and mirror to get ready.
- Scent Free Yoga Room: I couldn’t believe it. You’d think that a 107 degree room where people sweat their ass off for 90 minutes would be impossible to keep scent free, but somehow they did it. OK, well maybe when I go back I’ll notice it wasn’t completely scent free, but thinking back on the situation, I can’t recall any nasty sweat smell, so it must not have been that back.
- Unpretentious Staff: I’m not saying that all yoga teachers are pretentious, but some of them, ok most of them, give off this vibe that they are so relax and have their lives so under control that it actually sometimes stresses me out! How annoying is it that every yoga teacher is about 110 lbs and has a six pack just from standing in tree pose and saying a few oms? My teacher today was just a regular girl and seemed wicked down to earth…I loved it!
- Small Class Size: Since I’ve only gone once, I’m not sure if this is the case, but this class had only 5 people in it, including myself. Cool!
- CLOCK! Finally, the best part about this place: there is a huge clock right in the middle of the room. I don’t know if anyone else feels this way, but let me tell you…I cannot stand not knowing how much longer I have til I’m done. I’ve even worn my watch into practice a few times just so I can keep an eye, but I swear I got dirty looks for doing that so I reluctantly stopped!
I definitely recommend this place to anyone who is looking to test the waters with Bikram. The staff is nice, the studio is clean, and in my humble opinion, its a great place for new comers and experienced yogis of all kinds!
click here for deals on yoga clothing!
Posted on July 18, 2012, in Exercise, Yoga and tagged 107, Bikram, Bikram Choudhury, Bikram Yoga, City Steam, City Steam Brewery, Downtown, Hartford, Hot, Japanese Ham Sandwich, Sweat, Yoga. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.