2013 Bucket List
So each year on January 1st most Americans create a New Years Resolution or two…I could be completely wrong, but given my own experiences and watching my friends and family, this is just a set up for failure. Everyone always says the same crap: This year I am going to…”lose weight”, “quit smoking”, “save money”, “stop swearing”…whatever, fill in the blank, they are all pretty standard, and I’d say that 99% of them fall through by January 15th. It is for this reason that I don’t believe in New Years Resolutions.
Instead, I prefer to make a “Yearly Bucket List”. This is a much better option because instead of cringing every time I think of what I can’t do, or what I have to do, I get to look forward to all the fun things that I GET to do!! This year, many of the things on my list have to do with visiting and spending time with family and friends that I haven’t been able to find time for recently. Another big portion of my list is making time for the simple things in life that I have forgotten how much I enjoy. So here’s my list…and I’ll likely do a quick post on each of the things on my list as I get them going!
- Visit all the Wineries on the CT Wine Trail – There’s 24, so I have my work cut out for me, but I think I can do it, but I already have a couple of trips planned, and I have a handful of wine drinking friends that will support me on my mission!
- Visit my Gram and Gramp in Iowa – I try to make this happen every year, and have been mostly successful. I already have my ticket booked, so I’m pretty excited!
- Visit Texas – I’ve never been to Texas, so this is a double wammy for me! I’m actually going to visit with some New England friends who have moved down there, but I’m also pumped because it’s going to be wayyyy warmer there than it is in New England, not to mention the fact that I’ll get to discover a whole new state with a good friend! Again, ticket is already booked for this one, so it’s in the bag! (I guess you can say I started planning my 2013 bucket list a little early!)
- Visit Colorado – My bestie is living out there, has been for over a year now, and for a while I didn’t go out because I selfishly hoped she come back east, but looks like thats not happening any time soon so I better make some plans to get my ass out there sometime in 2013! Can’t wait for late nights filled with drinks, great stories, and new shenanigans!
- Finish my “50 Hikes in CT” book! Last year this item was on my Bucket List for me and my boyfriend to do, but we lost some steam and subsequently broke up so that never ended up happening. Sooooo I’m totally going to finish it this year, even if I have to do it myself! I’m not giving up on the dream! Plus, the book has special meaning to me because it was given to me by my best friend’s late father. I think he’d want me to finish what I started here!
Oak Grove Nature Center, Manchestercompleted April 16, 2012
Great Pond, Tariffvillecompleted in 2012
Larsen Sanctuary, Reddingcompleted June 2, 2012
Mount Tom Tower, New Preston:completed January 19, 2013
Gillette Castle, Deep River:completed on January 20, 2013
Greenwich Audubon Sanctuary, Greenwich, CTcompleted June 2, 2012
- Hurd State Park, Middle Haddam
Case Mountain, Manchestercompleted in 2012
- Rocky Neck, Old Lyme/Niantic
Wadsworth Falls, Middletown
- Nayantaquit, Hamburg
- Pine Knob Loop, Ellsworth
- Day Pond Loop, Moodus
- Sunny Valley, New Milford
Northwest Park, Windsor Lockscompleted in 2012
- Newgate Prison, Windsor Locks
- Chatfield Hollow, Clinton
Soapstone Mountain, Ellingtoncompleted in 2012
- Bluff Point, New London
- White Memorial Foundation, Litchfield
Penwood State Forest, Bloomfieldcompleted April 21, 2012
- Mount Misery, Voluntown
Gay City Sate Park, Hebrocompleted June 24, 2012
- Green Falls Point, Voluntown:
- Wolf Den, Danielson:
Collis P Huntington State Park, Reddingcompleted June 2, 2012
- McLean Game Refuge, Tariffville
- Great Hill, Haddam
- Mount Higby, Middletown
- Northern Nipmunk, Westford
- Natchaug, Hampton
- Bullet and High Ledges, Voluntown
- Westwoods, Guilford
- Ragged Mountain Loop, New Britain/Meriden
- Devil’s Hopyard, Hamburg
- Chauncy Peak and Mount Lamentation, Meriden
- Heublein Tower, Avon
- People’s Forest, New Hartford
- Macedonia Brook, Ellsworth
- Bear Mountain Loop, Bashbish Falls
Windsor Locks Canal, Windsor Locks/Broad Brookcompleted in 2012
- Seven Falls, Middle Haddam
Mansfield Hollow, Mansfieldcompleted in 2012
- Cockaponset, Haddam
- Tunxis Ramble, Thomaston, Bristol, Torrington & Collinsville
Bolton Notch Railroad, Manchester to Boltoncompleted in 2012
- West Peak and Castle Crag, Meriden
- Housatonic Range, New Milford
- Sleeping Giant, Willingford, Mount Carmel
- Ratlum Mountain and Indian Caves, New Hartford
- CAMP! I wanted to camp so bad last year, and it was on my bucket list…and I crossed it off in the most shameful way possible…sleeping in my tent at my friends lake house after a night of drinking…LAMEEEEEE. This year I actually want to camp, CAMP! Now I just need to find someone to come with!
Finish my second round of p90x! I did it once last year, I got in great shape, lost some weight and felt awesome! Now here I am holding some extra “holiday weight” (which is a really nice way of saying I got lazy and fat again), and I’m MORE than ready to take it off! Tomorrow I’ll be finishing up with week one, which means 83 more days! whoop!Complete 3 consecutive months of 5 days a week of Bootcamp: I’ve decided to change from p90x to bootcamp. I used to go, and now I want to go back…I figure 3 months of 5 days a week of bootcamp would be just as beneficial as 90 days of p90x! Plus, since I’m paying (alot of) money for it, I wont skip out! HOLLER!
- Finish a book – how lame is it that I actually have to put on my bucket list “finish a book”…I start them, but then I don’t finish them. It’s horrible. I’m lazy…I just want to finish one damn book!
- Start and Complete my 2012 scrapbook! Each year for as long as I’ve lived I always have made a scrapbook, and 2012 is the first year I’m really lagging on! I gotta get my act together here, get my pics together and put my book together! I don’t know why I’ve been dragging my heels here because its actually something I really like to do, but I have and now that its a full year’s worth of work I realllllllyyy don’t want to do it! But, I gotta! (I mean it’s on the bucket list, right?)
- Carve a pumpkin! The past couple years I’ve been saying I want to carve a pumpkin, but I never do…this year is my year. It’s going to be amazing!
- Run a 1/2 Marathon: It won’t be my first, but it will be my first in a while. And this year I have the perfect motivator! My sis is going to do it with me (and maybe my cousin too! whoo!!).
- Write 50 Letters: I think the art of handwritten letters has really gone down hill…people just don’t do it anymore, HOWEVER, everyone still appreciates it! I mean who wouldn’t be happy to get a hand written letter in the mail. REAL MAIL, not text, not email…a physical piece of paper that is in the mail. No string attached! I’m going to brighten peoples’ day 50 times!
- Do a “Family Dinner” at least once a month: A few years back, a couple of my friends and I would do “Family Dinner” (aka a home-cooked meal around the kitchen table) once a week. My goal for 2013 is to do it at least once a month!
So that’s what I’ve got so far, but I think I’ll keep prettttyyyy busy with all of that! Wish me luck! and good luck to all of your that have New Years Resolutions! Hopefully you can follow through and make yourself the person you want to be! 🙂